Problem with new version 2.0.5

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:56 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Windows XP SP3. With version 1.3.6  I could open a lot of reports generated with Perfmon. Now I uninstalled that version and installed version 2.0.5, there is no way to open my reports. I installed Mkicrosoft Chart Controls andPowershell 2.0, rebooted the PC. When I try to generate a report I receive this error even with the demo report::

WARNING: Unable to load the Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET
Framework 3.5. These controls used to create graphical charts. Please install
these free controls from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=130f7986-bf49-4fe5-9ca
8-910ae6ea442c&DisplayLang=en
WARNING: If you have installed the Microsoft Chart Controls, then ensure that
the assembly is located in one of the default directories "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Chart
Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll" or "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Chart
Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll"
Exception calling "LoadFile" with "1" argument(s): "El sistema no puede hallar
el archivo especificado. (Excepción de HRESULT: 0x80070002)"
At C:\Archivos de programa\PAL\PAL v2.0.5\PAL.ps1:101 char:39
+ [Void] [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile <<<< ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Char
t Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll")
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordE
   xception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

I installed everything at the default directories, why am I receiving this error?

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM

If you installed the MS Chart controls to the default directory, then it should work. All I can ask is for you to verify that the System.Windows.Form.DataVisualization.dll exists in one of these two directories:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Chart Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Chart Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll

The DLL must be in one of those two directories.

Thank you,

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM

To fix the above error, install Microsoft Chart Controls for MS's .Net Framework 3.5

From MS's Link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14422

-Mitesh Bhatt

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM
If you installed Chart Controls to a non-default location, or your OS drive isn't C:, then simply edit the pal.ps1 file and change lines 119 and 120 
[Void] [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Chart Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll")
[Void] [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Chart Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll")
To the actual location where Chart Controls was installed.
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Roy is correct. I hard coded the path to the MS Chart control DLL simply because I don't know of any other way of finding it. It's a GAC'd assembly. If anyone has a suggestion, then I appreciate it.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Best I could find, is that once the chart control is installed there is a registry entry created which shows where it's installed. So you could parse that or prompt the user to locate the installed location and store the value as a setting.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Assemblies\E:|Program Files (x86)|Microsoft Chart Controls|Assemblies|System.Web.DataVisualization.Design.dll
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Thanks RoyMiller. I'll try that.