Feedback on v1.3 Beta

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:18 PM
Hi Clint,

Great work again for v1.3!

Here are my feedback on the GUI:

To be honest, i liked the previous one better, it allowed me to organise quicker what i wanted to do, although the new one looks better for understand the workflow.
Thanks for the output folder which we can now set, it would be very nice to have the tool enhanced to be able to specify the report file name.

Thanks!

P.
Feb 26, 2008 at 5:04 PM
Hi Clint,

I ran my first report with the new release. The obvious problem is the hyperlinks in the section "On This Page" which are broken.

Thanks
Feb 27, 2008 at 12:38 AM
Edited Feb 27, 2008 at 12:39 AM
miss
Feb 27, 2008 at 12:38 AM
Hi, thanks for your supporting!

As you know, I used windows 2003 server korean version and i received your mail.
you mentioned below.

If you can wait a few weeks, I will likely have this implemented as a feature in the tool. Otherwise, all of the English counter paths specified in the PAL XML files would need to be replaced with their Korean equivalent.

Today, I download PAL 1.3 but it still out error.
PAL 1.3 is not yet fixed below error?(windows 2003 server korean version.)

ERROR: DetermineIfCountersAreInThePerfmonLog Unable to create a counter list
rom C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{20E9BE0D-4FC1-4296-8346-4DE65C813EFE}\_
ilteredPerfmonLog.csv

I don't know how to change all of the English counter paths specified in the PAL XML files to korean equivalent.
I know you are very busy. but If you'd like, please tell me how to change counter path in part of the PAL XML file(ex. SystemOverview.xml)

Thank you!!
Feb 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM
More feedback on the new GUI....

On the former GUI, you were able to build several jobs, happending to the window on the bottom right, once ready you would press the execute button, starting the processing sequentially.
I did not find the equivalent on the new GUI. I like the idea that multiple instance of PAL can run simultaniously, however i also like the idea of a Queue that you can execute when you are finish building the batch. I would see well an extra tab named "Queue" with the equivalent of the former window, and a "add to queue" in the last step of the wizard... Also with the option to run sequencially all the jobs (sart /wait) or not.

Just ideas....

Anyway...Thanks a lot for the great tool...
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2008 at 11:39 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback! It's hard to tell what features people like and dislike.
I want to keep the Wizard UI to keep the flow simple because I'm adding an additional steps to the process and it's becoming too much to put on a single form.

With that said I can understand the need to queue it up the execution like in the previous behavior. Tell you what, I'll have it do the queue up (add lines of code execution to the batch file) by default and add a checkbox for synchronous/asynchronous (execute sequentually or execute all at the same time) behavior which as you mentioned would just add or remove the /WAIT argument. This checkbox would have the same behavior as the low priority checkbox.

Sound good?

pksmania wrote:

On the former GUI, you were able to build several jobs, happending to the window on the bottom right, once ready you would press the execute button, starting the processing sequentially.
I did not find the equivalent on the new GUI. I like the idea that multiple instance of PAL can run simultaniously, however i also like the idea of a Queue that you can execute when you are finish building the batch. I would see well an extra tab named "Queue" with the equivalent of the former window, and a "add to queue" in the last step of the wizard... Also with the option to run sequencially all the jobs (sart /wait) or not.

Just ideas....

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM
Making PAL globalized (able to process other spoken languages) is my #1 feature request now. I'm awaiting approval to get Windows source code access for all of the operating system perf counters in each of the supported languages of Windows, so progress on this front is going slow for now. Once I get the data, I'll modify the schema of the XML threshold files so that the counters will match their respective spoken language equivilents. Until that happens, the only other workaround is to edit the PAL threshold files (XML docs) and replace the COUNTER NAME and ANALYZECOUNTER attributes to be the Korean version.

If you happen to go through this effort, can you post the converted version back here to the web site, so others can use it and/or send it to me, so I can at least include it in future releases.

Thanks,

erom wrote:
Hi, thanks for your supporting!

As you know, I used windows 2003 server korean version and i received your mail.
you mentioned below.

If you can wait a few weeks, I will likely have this implemented as a feature in the tool. Otherwise, all of the English counter paths specified in the PAL XML files would need to be replaced with their Korean equivalent.

Today, I download PAL 1.3 but it still out error.
PAL 1.3 is not yet fixed below error?(windows 2003 server korean version.)

ERROR: DetermineIfCountersAreInThePerfmonLog Unable to create a counter list
rom C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{20E9BE0D-4FC1-4296-8346-4DE65C813EFE}\_
ilteredPerfmonLog.csv

I don't know how to change all of the English counter paths specified in the PAL XML files to korean equivalent.
I know you are very busy. but If you'd like, please tell me how to change counter path in part of the PAL XML file(ex. SystemOverview.xml)

Thank you!!

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2008 at 12:37 AM
Figured it out. Sorry for this. When I added the ability to allow multiple instances of PAL to run at the same time, I introduced this bug. Thanks for catching it. I'll replace the current beta release with a build with this fix.
  • Bug Fix: The links on the HTML based report failed to work. This was caused by the addition of a GUID in the report file name which allows multiple instances of PAL to run at the same time. This has been fixed by removing the curly brackets from the GUID.

pksmania wrote:
Hi Clint,

I ran my first report with the new release. The obvious problem is the hyperlinks in the section "On This Page" which are broken.

Thanks

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2008 at 4:09 AM
I just released v1.3 Beta 2. Per your request, I have added options at the end of the wizard where you can choose if you want to Add to Queue and Rerun the Wizard, Execute and Rerun the Wizard, or Execute and Close the Wizard. The Batch File window has been renamed to the Command Queue. To make these changes easier to implement, the Command Queue is effectively read only - meaning you can't add any additional command or modifications to the commands. Was anyone really editing them anyway? Please let me know if I should allow editing of it. I also thought about juat putting a Save to Batch file button if someone really needs to edit them, but there again you could just copy and paste it. Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

Oh, one more thing. I have the "Log row too long" error figured out. It's a Microsoft Log Parser error basically saying there are too many perf counter in the log for it's buffer. It's default buffer is 128K. You can increase it's buffer size by adding the following registry key. The value I have set here is 256K which was just enough to process a counter log with a huge number of perf counters. I will try to automate this to where the PAL tool checks the header size of the perfmon log and adjusts this registry key to accomodate. In the meantime, if you run into this issue, then set it to 256K (the value below) and try again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Log Parser
"CSVInMaxRowSize"=dword:00040000

pksmania wrote:

Just ideas....

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM
Hi Clint!

I was unable to get the MaxRowSize with regmon, so I am very very grateful for that!!! Can you give me a hint how you did that?

Thanks!
Best Regards
Ferenc
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM
I used Process Monitor (previously SysInternals) which is regmon and filemon combined into a much better tool. In any case, regmon should have worked as well. I ran Process Monitor while I ran Log Parser queries. I noticed that Log Parser was looking for the key "HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Log Parser", then continued. I created the key, then ran it again. This time it specifically looked for "HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Log Parser\CSVInMaxRowSize". Once I knew the key, I just needed to set it's value.

How did I know it existed, what it's default is, and the units it uses? Okay, I'll reveal my secret. :-) I spoke to the Program Manager/Dev/Caretaker of the Log Parser source code, Jeffrey Johnson. I originally emailed him about the "Log row too long" error and he pointed me to the CSVInMaxRowSize key. He didn't originally write it, so he didn't know where it was in the registry. Once I found it, Jeffrey told me the default value and the units it is in. Once I had a perfmon log that consistently produced the error, I was able to play with the setting and get a better feel for how to avoid it. Ultimately, the higher the setting the longer it will take to process, but that's better than not processing at all.

ffmatyas wrote:
Hi Clint!

I was unable to get the MaxRowSize with regmon, so I am very very grateful for that!!! Can you give me a hint how you did that?

Thanks!
Best Regards
Ferenc

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:18 PM
One thing in Beta 3 is that it assumes the PAL.vbs is actually in the same directory as the .blg file you specify. I don't know if that can be changed, but if not, people will have to put their logs in the directory where PAL is installed.

Thanks for a great program!
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2008 at 3:00 AM
Can you be more specific? The PAL.vbs takes in the /LOG: parameter which is the path to the log file you want analyzed. Below is an example. If you are referring to the Counter Log combobox, just click the ellipses to browse to a directory containing log files. Once you've done that, the drop down will now be populated with all of the other perfmon logs in that directory. This is how it is designed. I use the installation directory by default because I don't know where your logs are at. I could make it the root of My Documents if you want. I'm open for suggestions on this.

Here is an example:
CScript "C:\Users\clinth\Documents\MyDocs\~Projects\PAL\PAL.vbs"
/LOG:"C:\Users\clinth\Documents\MyDocs\~Projects\PAL\SampleLogs\Processor.blg"
/THRESHOLDFILE:"C:\Users\clinth\Documents\MyDocs\~Projects\PAL\SystemOverview.xml"
/INTERVAL:"AUTO"
/ISOUTPUTHTML:True
/ISOUTPUTXML:False
/HTMLOUTPUTFILENAME:"LogFileNamePALANALYSISDateTimeStampGUID.htm"
/NumberOfProcessors:4
/ThreeGBSwitch:False
/SixtyFourBit:False
/TotalMemory:4
/KernelDumpOnCDrive:True

Hantra wrote:
One thing in Beta 3 is that it assumes the PAL.vbs is actually in the same directory as the .blg file you specify. I don't know if that can be changed, but if not, people will have to put their logs in the directory where PAL is installed.

Thanks for a great program!

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:08 AM
Well the Cscript line seems to always look in the same directory you specify for the /LOG: parameter. Perhaps I just don't understand it. PAL.vbs actually resides in the "Program Files\PAL 1.3" directory where the installer places it.

Do people normally move the PAL.vbs around? If not, then we should have it pick up the name of the directory from which PAL.exe was run. That should be the directory in which the installer places PAL.vbs too, no?

Thanks again Clint.

ClintH wrote:
Can you be more specific? The PAL.vbs takes in the /LOG: parameter which is the path to the log file you want analyzed.

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2008 at 4:29 AM
I think I see the problem now. When I run it from Visual Studio it runs just fine, but after installing it I see this:

CScript "C:\\PAL.vbs"
/THRESHOLDFILE:"C:\SystemOverview.xml"

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll have to figure out why this is occuring and post a new version. ;-)

Hantra wrote:
Well the Cscript line seems to always look in the same directory you specify for the /LOG: parameter. Perhaps I just don't understand it. PAL.vbs actually resides in the "Program Files\PAL 1.3" directory where the installer places it.

Do people normally move the PAL.vbs around? If not, then we should have it pick up the name of the directory from which PAL.exe was run. That should be the directory in which the installer places PAL.vbs too, no?

Thanks again Clint.

ClintH wrote:
Can you be more specific? The PAL.vbs takes in the /LOG: parameter which is the path to the log file you want analyzed.

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2008 at 4:56 AM
Is anyone else having the problem where PAL installs to the root of C:\ drive on Windows Vista? It's happening to me. I'm able to work around it by running Setup.exe as administrator, but that setup doesn't prompt for admin rights.

ClintH wrote:
I think I see the problem now. When I run it from Visual Studio it runs just fine, but after installing it I see this:

CScript "C:\\PAL.vbs"
/THRESHOLDFILE:"C:\SystemOverview.xml"

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll have to figure out why this is occuring and post a new version. ;-)

Hantra wrote:

Thanks again Clint.

ClintH wrote:

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:58 PM
Hi Clint,

I am now using beta 3 on Vista, it installed ok, and ask to elevate the privileges, i however removed the previous version before installing the new one, this might be the diffence.

On changes, i would really tell you that all i ever wanted is now implemented, i really like this new version a lot. I could not find anything obviously wrong so far. So thanks for the good work, this version is a milestone.

Thanks again!

Patrice
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2008 at 4:50 PM
Great to hear. Thanks. Yeah, the unelevated installation to the root of C:\ drive seems to be isolated to my laptop. Thanks for confirming and the feedback! :-)

I was using PAL this week while on-site with a customer and I found myself using the new output file options quite a bit. Definetly a great suggestion by all.

pksmania wrote:
Hi Clint,

I am now using beta 3 on Vista, it installed ok, and ask to elevate the privileges, i however removed the previous version before installing the new one, this might be the diffence.

On changes, i would really tell you that all i ever wanted is now implemented, i really like this new version a lot. I could not find anything obviously wrong so far. So thanks for the good work, this version is a milestone.

Thanks again!

Patrice

Mar 9, 2008 at 2:38 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM
If you allow me a "cosmetic feedback", i would like to have the same "file open" dialog style on the form "Output Options/Output Directory" than on the "Counter Log" Open Blg dialog. In Vista, you can setup your own shortcut in Windows Explorer to your favorite locations, they are showing up in the dialog style used for the "Counter Log", while on the "Output Options", the dialog is more simple/basic, and they do not show up. It would be very cool to have the same dialog syle on the 2 forms... Also, it would be quite nice that the Output Option dialog opens by default on the same folder than where the data (blg) is stored...

And a last suggestion, for today ;-), would it be possible to include in the "Tool Parameter" section from the report the begin/end date/time of the analysis, similar to what relog gives you when you run it against blg files, this would allow us/me to quicly assess the period of analysis, with this information, it is easier looking at multiple reports while looking up for a site event (i'm also often at customer site to review technical problems).

Thanks...

PAtrice.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:19 AM
I like these idea. I'll see if I can implement them.

Regarding the file open dialog form for the output directory, The output directory is a directory versus a file, so I'm using a Directory open dialog box versus a File open dialog box. With that said, I'll see if this is something that I can do.

The problem with making the default directory the same directory as the log files is security. If PAL tries to write to a restricted directory in Vista such as E:\ drive (I use USB drives when I use PAL), then it gets denied access to the directory that I'm having difficulty with detecting. I works great in other OS's like WinXP and Win2003. I'll probably keep the default settings because I'd rather not require PAL to have elevated permissions.

Adding the start and end times of the log should be pretty easy to implement. I'll try to get this in.

One of the other requests I've had is to be able to specify a time range within the log versus analyzing the entire log. This feature is likely easy to implement as well since Relog.exe supports time ranges.

I will likely release v1.3 soon with the features as they are now, then implement your suggestions in v1.4.

Thanks again for the feedback!

pksmania wrote:
If you allow me a "cosmetic feedback", i would like to have the same "file open" dialog style on the form "Output Options/Output Directory" than on the "Counter Log" Open Blg dialog. In Vista, you can setup your own shortcut in Windows Explorer to your favorite locations, they are showing up in the dialog style used for the "Counter Log", while on the "Output Options", the dialog is more simple/basic, and they do not show up. It would be very cool to have the same dialog syle on the 2 forms... Also, it would be quite nice that the Output Option dialog opens by default on the same folder than where the data (blg) is stored...

And a last suggestion, for today ;-), would it be possible to include in the "Tool Parameter" section from the report the begin/end date/time of the analysis, similar to what relog gives you when you run it against blg files, this would allow us/me to quicly assess the period of analysis, with this information, it is easier looking at multiple reports while looking up for a site event (i'm also often at customer site to review technical problems).

Thanks...

PAtrice.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM
Hi Clint,

I am now using Beta 4, i thought you have resolved "Fixed a bug where the PAL.vbs path changed when a new output directory is selected.". However i still see the problem:

>>>
C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs>CScript "C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflo
gs\PAL.vbs" /LOG:"C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs\OnGoingsvr-msa-alog_000032.blg" /THRESHOLDF
ILE:"C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v1.3 Beta 4\SystemOverview.xml" /INTERVAL:"1800" /ISOUTPUTHTML:True /ISOUTPUTXML:False /OU
TPUTDIR:"C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs" /HTMLOUTPUTFILENAME:"LogFileNamePALANALYSIS_[Date
TimeStamp]_GUID.htm" /NumberOfProcessors:2 /ThreeGBSwitch:False /SixtyFourBit:False /TotalMemory:2 /KernelDumpOnCDrive
:True
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs\PAL.vbs".

>>>

As you can see, it searches for PAL.VBS in "C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs\ which is the path selected for the report output.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 8:17 PM
Sorry, I thought it was fixed. I tested it on both my Vista box and my Windows Server 2008 box.

Can you give me the steps to reproduce this issue, so I can debug it? I have idea of where the problem might be and I'll try to fix it today.

Thanks,

pksmania wrote:
Hi Clint,

I am now using Beta 4, i thought you have resolved "Fixed a bug where the PAL.vbs path changed when a new output directory is selected.". However i still see the problem:

>>>
C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs>CScript "C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflo
gs\PAL.vbs" /LOG:"C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs\OnGoingsvr-msa-alog_000032.blg" /THRESHOLDF
ILE:"C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v1.3 Beta 4\SystemOverview.xml" /INTERVAL:"1800" /ISOUTPUTHTML:True /ISOUTPUTXML:False /OU
TPUTDIR:"C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs" /HTMLOUTPUTFILENAME:"LogFileNamePALANALYSIS_[Date
TimeStamp]_GUID.htm" /NumberOfProcessors:2 /ThreeGBSwitch:False /SixtyFourBit:False /TotalMemory:2 /KernelDumpOnCDrive
:True
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs\PAL.vbs".

>>>

As you can see, it searches for PAL.VBS in "C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs\ which is the path selected for the report output.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:41 AM
I have put the blg files on my desktop on "\moers\perflogs" (C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs), then run the tool, select the blg, then set the output report to the same location as the blg, meaning, C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs, and finally execute.

Hope this helps.
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2008 at 7:25 PM
Thanks. I found it. I was using "My.Computer.FileSystem.CurrentDirectory" to get the working directory of the PAL.vbs, but when the File open dialog box is used to pick a new log file it changes the the CurrentDirectory to be the log directory. I really did fix this in beta 5 by settting a global variable during initial load of the CurrentDirectory, then just reusing it for each item in the queue. I reproduced the problem with beta 4, made the fix and verified it's fixed in beta 5. Sorry about the confusion on this.

If this fix actually works, then I'll likely make beta 5 the full v1.3 release.

Thanks for all of your support!

pksmania wrote:
I have put the blg files on my desktop on "\moers\perflogs" (C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs), then run the tool, select the blg, then set the output report to the same location as the blg, meaning, C:\Documents and Settings\E187329\Desktop\moers\perflogs, and finally execute.

Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:01 AM
This time it works well, thanks for fixing this one.
Mar 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM
First off, awesome tool. I just started using it so I'm still working through everything it does, but very impressive thus far.

One thing I wanted to find out is if there is a way through the tool to specify a time range for analysis within a binary (.blg) file. I do alot of benchmark testing and sometimes need to just look at a 45 minute period out of a 4 hour long capture. It could be there and I just haven't found it yet.

If it has this capability, great. If it doesn't, it's still great. Thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2008 at 10:37 PM
This feature has been requested a lot. PAL doesn't have this feature natively, but it should be relatively easy to implement because PAL has to use Relog.exe to convert the BLG file anyway. In the meantime, you can do this yourself by using Relog.exe which is a command line tool that is part of the operating system.

dougp wrote:
First off, awesome tool. I just started using it so I'm still working through everything it does, but very impressive thus far.

One thing I wanted to find out is if there is a way through the tool to specify a time range for analysis within a binary (.blg) file. I do alot of benchmark testing and sometimes need to just look at a 45 minute period out of a 4 hour long capture. It could be there and I just haven't found it yet.

If it has this capability, great. If it doesn't, it's still great. Thanks.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM
ClintH wrote:
I just released v1.3 Beta 2. Per your request, I have added options at the end of the wizard where you can choose if you want to Add to Queue and Rerun the Wizard, Execute and Rerun the Wizard, or Execute and Close the Wizard. The Batch File window has been renamed to the Command Queue. To make these changes easier to implement, the Command Queue is effectively read only - meaning you can't add any additional command or modifications to the commands. Was anyone really editing them anyway? Please let me know if I should allow editing of it. I also thought about juat putting a Save to Batch file button if someone really needs to edit them, but there again you could just copy and paste it. Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

Oh, one more thing. I have the "Log row too long" error figured out. It's a Microsoft Log Parser error basically saying there are too many perf counter in the log for it's buffer. It's default buffer is 128K. You can increase it's buffer size by adding the following registry key. The value I have set here is 256K which was just enough to process a counter log with a huge number of perf counters. I will try to automate this to where the PAL tool checks the header size of the perfmon log and adjusts this registry key to accomodate. In the meantime, if you run into this issue, then set it to 256K (the value below) and try again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Log Parser
"CSVInMaxRowSize"=dword:00040000

pksmania wrote:

Just ideas....

For anybody trying to run logparser on Server 2008 x64 or the like, here's the registery key you need to make this work:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Log Parser

Thanks for the tip!

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Thank you for the tip!

Also, PAL v2.0 Beta 1 (current release) does not use Microsoft Log Parser or Office Web Components 2003. PAL v2.0 is designed with Windows 7 and Windows 2008 in mind.