error: .\pal.ps1 is not recognized

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM

running PAL on w2k3r2 server - ran PAL 1.x previously. Installed PAL 2 beta - get error:

The term '.\PAL.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, scrip
t file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was i
ncluded, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:10
+ .\PAL.ps1 <<<<  -Log 'C:\data\4000215355\BEZWVDCS01_Perflog\ADCounters_000002  (etc.)

Saw a note that this is due to running under PS v1 - so upgraded to PS v2 and same error. Ran it on my Vista box and it worked fine. Did notice on Vista there was a PAL header  - not such thing on 2k3 Is there a limitation that PAL v2 won't run on 2k3?

ALSO - seems to be a bug.  when I select Active Directory under Threshold file, the Questions tab goes blank. Have to restart PAL to get them back - forces me to use Windows System for the threshold.

Thanks,

Gary

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Just to add that I'm encountering similar on XP (SP3). I've still got a (working) copy of PALv1.3.5 on the same machine; would that be causing problems?

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Hi
I uninstalled the old PAL version before installing v2.  I installed PAL 2  on a Vista machine and it worked fine… just can’t get it to work on 2k3

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:57 AM
To: Olsen, Gary (WTEC-Atlanta)
Subject: Re: error: .\pal.ps1 is not recognized [PAL:225090]

Just to add that I'm encountering similar on XP (SP3). I've still got a (working) copy of PALv1.3.5 on the same machine; would that be causing problems?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (PAL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email PAL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I too am getting this problem with PAL v2 on XP SP3. 

Anybody know where I can get the old VBS version of this tool which works? 

The google links to old versions I've tried have gone to a page redirect to v2.0 of PAL.  

Peace, love and MACHINE empathy

Da'flibble

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I haven't been testing PAL v2.0 on Windows XP. I'll build a virtual PC of WinXP and see if I can reproduce the problem. In the meantime, the latest v1.x version is at http://pal.codeplex.com/releases/view/39623

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Thanks ClintH.  

I found another post on the discussion board that sounded similar and I've since put the blg log file into the PAL directory and it now works. 

Sorry can't recall the post to link to it. 

It's a bit inconvientant but it works, would be nice if you could make it work properly under XP, as sadly I think it's still going to be a few years before a lot of corporate environments I work in will upgrade to anything else. 

Da'flibble

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Good to know. My WinXP build is coming along. I will test it out today and try to fix it. You are not alone on this.

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Okay, I reproduced the problem on Windows XP SP3. The problem is that the PAL Wizard is not properly detecting the installation directory of where PAL is installed. On Windows 7, it changes directory to the PAL installation directory everytime which is what I want, but on WinXP, it thinks that the location of the BLG file is where PAL is installed. I've gone round and round on this trying to get a reliable way to detect the PAL installation directory, but I will do some more work towards solving this.

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Got it fixed! In one of the PAL fuctions, the PalInstallationDirectory variable was accidentally reset to the CurrentDirectory which would be the last file path that was browsed out to. I'm not sure why only Windows XP computers were effected by this. In any case, I have a new build v2.0.2 that should fix this. I am running tests against it tonight. If is passes the tests, then I will overwrite the PAL v2.0 release with v2.0.2 tomorrow (Thursday, September 9th).

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Thanks Clint!

Not surprisingly, this was the case with Win2003 also.

Thanks for the fix – I use PAL frequently.

Gary Olsen

Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:58 AM
To: Olsen, Gary (WTEC-Atlanta)
Subject: Re: error: .\pal.ps1 is not recognized [PAL:225090]

Got it fixed! In one of the PAL fuctions, the PalInstallationDirectory variable was accidentally reset to the CurrentDirectory which would be the last file path that was browsed out to. I'm not sure why only Windows XP computers were effected by this. In any case, I have a new build v2.0.2 that should fix this. I am running tests against it tonight. If is passes the tests, then I will overwrite the PAL v2.0 release with v2.0.2 tomorrow (Thursday, September 9th).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (PAL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email PAL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I just uploaded the new bits. This is fixed in v2.0.2 at http://pal.codeplex.com/releases/view/51623

I tested it, but please let me know if the problem persists. Thank you!

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Okay just tested the new version and it now works okay on my XP SP3 build.

Thanks for the quick fix ; )

Da'flibble

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM

That's great news! Thank you for letting me know. :-)

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I installed the 2.0.2 version on windows 7 64 ultimate running PS 2.  I get the "The term '.\PAL.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a..." error when executing.  If I open PS set the directory %programfiles%\PAL\PAL v2.0.2 directory and run the .\Pal.ps1 command copied from the Queue screen everything works great. 

Clint, I love the tool by the way thanks for making it available.

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Have you installed PowerShell v2.0? PAL v2.0 requires PowerShell v2.0, but I haven't figured out a way to check for that requirement yet in the installer. If you have PowerShell v2.0, then make sure that PowerShell.exe is in your PATH environment variable.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Hi Clint ,

Thanks for gettign back to me on this.  Yes, the get-host command returns a version of 2.0 on powershell.  And the PATH env var includes the path to the powershell executable. 

I am not a powershell guru but it appears that there is something changing the current working directory on PowerShell launch.  Your tool sets the directory in the dos prompt and then launches Powershell with the command line arguments.  Powershell fails to locate the PS1 file.  If I set the working directory in powershell to the PAL directory and then execute the equivalent of the argument string it all executes properly.

Don't know if that helps any but thought I would more detailed in case if causes someone to have an Ah-ha moment.

Thanks