Non Perfmon Logs

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Hi 

I have gathered logs using a third party tool since my company policy doesnt allow me to run Perfmon on my machine against any Prod Servers due to network bandwidth constraints.

I am getting the following errors when I am analyzing  those logs 

The term '.\PAL.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again.At line:1 char:10+ .\PAL.ps1  <<<< -Log 'C:\Documents and Settings\myuserName\Desktop\Hardware Bottlenecks\ServerName\Buffer Cache- Hit Rates.csv'-ThresholdFile 'C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.2\SystemOverview.xml' -Interval 'AUTO' -IsOutputHtml $True -HtmlOutputFileName '[LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].htm' -IsOutputXml $False -XmlOutputFileName '[LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].xml' -AllCounterStats $True -NumberOfProcessors 24 -ThreeGBSwitch $False -SixtyFourBit $True -TotalMemory 64

As per this discussion 

http://pal.codeplex.com/workitem/18268

I moved my .csv file to the PAL install folder and I am getting the following error

The script 'PAL.ps1' cannot be run because it contained a "#requires" statement at line 1 for Windows PowerShell version 2.0 which is incompatible with the installed Windows PowerShell version of 1.0.At line:1 char:10+ .\PAL.ps1  <<<< -Log 'C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.2\Buffer Cache (Myinstancename) - Hit Rates.csv' -ThresholdFile 'C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.2\SystemOverview.xml' -Interval 'AUTO' -IsOutputHtml $True -HtmlOutputFileName '[LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].htm' -IsOutputXml $False -XmlOutputFileName '[LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].xml' -AllCounterStats $False -NumberOfProcessors 24 -ThreeGBSwitch $False -SixtyFourBit $True -TotalMemory 64

Let me know if there is a way to resolve this issue?

Can we analyze non Perfmon logs in the first place?

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Make sure that you have PowerShell v2.0 installed. PAL v2.0 requires PowerShell v2.0.

I recommend gathering performance counter logs locally on each respective server. It is far more reliable and doesn't have any network overhead. Use the Logman.exe command line built into Windows to automate the creation and automation of counter logs on remote servers.

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Ok I was using ver 1. Powershell. Now I upgraded Powershell to V2. 

Here is the error message that I am getting now

WARNING: Please post errors or problems with this tool to the PAL web sitelocated at http://www.codeplex.com/PAL with the following error message and abrief description of what you were trying to do. Thank you.Exception calling "Substring" with "2" argument(s): "Index and length must refer to a location within the string.Parameter name: length"At C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.2\PAL.ps1:962 char:35+     $Char = $sCounterObject.Substring <<<< (0,1)    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordE   xception    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2010 at 3:31 AM

I'm not sure why you are getting that error. Can you provide more information such as the information that the PAL Wizard is passing into PAL.ps1? Make sure that the counter log (*.blg) has data in it by opening it up in perfmon. Thank you.