Suggested templates - analysis for top N consumers & excessive resource use by processes

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM

This topic came to light as I was talking to my manager and a colleague about PAL. I would share the templates if I ever get to creating them and am posting the topic here in case anybody has the time and ability to create the suggested PAL templates before I do:

Would be nice to have a PAL template that can report on and graph the top N CPU hogging processes. Where N is 5, or 10, etc. I haven't checked other templates but the current System Overview template doesn't have this. Rather it has "Excessive Processor Utilization by Processes" which is similar to what we want but it covers all logged processes, when we only want the top N logged processes.

Another nice to have would be a variation of "Excessive Processor Utilization by Processes" but for memory (private bytes, or maybe even virtual bytes), handle count, and thread count, etc. So we would have a graph (and perhaps the table of data) showing breakdown of memory usage, by all logged processes. And repeat for handle count, thread count. And we could make a variation on that for the top N consumers of memory or handle count, etc.

FYI, by logged processes I mean all the process counters logged in the input perflog file.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Hmm...took a look at Excessive Processor Utilization by Processes analysis setting. Looks like that just checks thresholds against Process(*)\% Processor Time, so it goes through all logged processes.

It seems the code to evaluate and graph all the multiple processes together is done within PAL.

In that case, suggest PAL have an analysis/option to do top N analysis rather than for all logged processes for the following:

* Excessive Processor Utilization

* Memory leak detection

* Handle Leak detection

The code/logic may need to go through all logged processes but instead of reporting on all of them as we currently do, sort by highest averages and then report on the top N (say 5 or 10). This would be as an alternative or in addition to the analysis items mentioned above, not as a replacement, as we also want to see for all processes sometimes.