Error: To relog multiple files all files must be in binary format. MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs : [MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs] ERROR

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:39 AM
Edited Jul 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Hi,Clint:

When i was trying to use the PAL v.2.0 beta1.1 to merge 2 *.blg files, it pops out the warning like this below.My platform is XP SP3.  Could you please help me figure that out?  Thanks!

Here's my operation:

The information and actions by this tool is provided "as is" and is intended for information purposes only. The authors and contributors of this tool take no responsibility for damages or losses incurred by use of this tool.
SCRIPT ARGUMENTS:-Log C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\2.blg;C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\2.blg-ThresholdFile C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\SystemOverview.xml-Interval AUTO-OutputDir [My Documents]\PAL Reports-IsOutputHtml True-HtmlOutputFileName [LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].htm-AllCounterStats False-IsOutputXml False-XmlOutputFileName [LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].xml-BeginTime-EndTime

Creating session working directory...Creating directory "C:\DOCUME~1\JEREMY~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{994f9d82-4b70-4933-ab60-62c454f7b64d}"Creating file "C:\Documents and Settings\JeremyShen\My Documents\PAL Reports\2_PAL_ANALYSIS_2010-07-19_16-49-09.htm"Creating directory "C:\Documents and Settings\JeremyShen\My Documents\PAL Reports\2_PAL_ANALYSIS_2010-07-19_16-49-09\"
Threshold File Load History:C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\SystemOverview.xmlQuickSystemOverview.xml
Generating the counter list to filter on...DoneRemoving duplicate counter expressions from counter list...Done
relog.exe "C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\2.blg" "C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\2.blg" -cf "C:\Documents and Settings\JeremyShen\Local Settings\Temp\{994f9d82-4b70-4933-ab60-62c454f7b64d}\CounterListFilter.txt" -f csv -o "C:\Documents and Settings\JeremyShen\Local Settings\Temp\{994f9d82-4b70-4933-ab60-62c454f7b64d}\_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv"Input----------------File(s):     C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\2.blg (CSV)     C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\2.blg (CSV)

And here's the error warning:

Error: To relog multiple files all files must be in binary format.MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs : [MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs] ERROR: Unable to find the converted log file:"C:\Documents and Settings\JeremyShen\Local Settings\Temp\{994f9d82-4b70-4933-ab60-62c454f7b64d}\_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv"At C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\PAL.ps1:4733 char:38+         MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs <<<<  -sPerfmonLogPaths $Log    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep   tion    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio   n,MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs
MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs : Relog.exe failed to process the log. Review the results above this line. If relog.exe continues to fail, then try running Relog.exe manually and/or contact Microsoft Customer Support Servers for support on Relog.exe only. PAL is not supported by Microsoft.At C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1\PAL.ps1:4733 char:38+         MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs <<<<  -sPerfmonLogPaths $Log    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep   tion    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio   n,MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs

Thanks for the Help!

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:55 AM

As an interim measure while waiting for response from Clint, I suggest you try directly using relog.exe to merge your logs outside of PAL and see if that works ok. You can then supply the merged log to PAL.

From command prompt run something like this:

relog log1.blg log2.blg [repeat as needed for more logs...] -f bin -o mergedLog.blg

If you still get an error, then it's a relog.exe issue and not much PAL can do about it. You'll have to figure out how to get relog to merge them or you can use PAL to report on the logs separately rather than together.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:21 AM

thx man~~i'll give a shot~~