Support for perflogs in SQL Server database

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Not sure if this has been requested already or whether it will be available in PAL 2.0.

I think it would be useful as a feature to be able to parse/analyze perflog data that is stored in SQL Server (via relog.exe conversion or from direct PerfMon logging, etc.) in addition to the current support for file based perflogs (binary & CSV).

Not talking about PAL for the moment but other tools like relog.exe, sometimes one might encounter issues with the file based logs whereas you may not have issues with the data in SQL.

As an example, PAL failed to parse/analyze a CSV perflog I had. So I tried using relog.exe to convert it to binary format to try to supply as input to PAL. It failed conversion as well, halfway through at ~55%. But interestingly, I can successfully relog from CSV file to SQL Server database with no problems. I wonder why that is so... If anyone is interested, I can send a copy of the bad CSV perflog in question.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Yes, processing counter data from a SQL server is certainly a good idea for a feature. I will consider it for furture versions. Thank you.