Error: Specified counter could not be found

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Greetings,

I have become a big time fan of PAL tool which has been helping me and my team make significant progress on our performance troubleshooting project on handful server boxes.
Yesterday, I ran into an issue where I capture PerfMon log file ( CSV output ) and when I tried to generate analysis report by PAL tool it gave an error in the CMD:
Error:
The specified counter could not be found.
C:\PerfLogs\PAL.vbs<4789, 5> Microsoft VBScript runtime error: File not found

Can you please let me know what I could be missing here?

- I am using PAL v1.3.6
- Perfmon output format is .csv
- File size: 7,926 kb
- PAL.vbs does exist in C:\PerfLogs folder

not sure what counter it is looking for and not finding.

Any directiong\guidance on how to determine this will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Amar

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:35 PM

OK. I have been playing with this for a little bit and thought I would open up the .csv file and see if I see anything that jumps out.
I saw a SQL Server#2 processor time% counter column name was there, but with no data on the entire column. Removed the column and tried to PAL it again. Now I am getting: "The specified log file type has not been installed on this system" error message.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM

PAL v1.3.6 should process CSV files, but I haven't tested it in a long time. I don't plan on spending any time on PAL v1.x. All of my attention on this project is on PAL v2.0 where I know that CSV logs should process just fine. Please try out PAL v2.0 Beta 1.1 at http://pal.codeplex.com.

Also, *never* log in CSV log file format. It does not try new counter instances. For example, if you started a CSV log capturing \Process(*)\*, then shorly after that started or restarted processes, then the log will not track the new process instances. We will be fixing this in Windows 8. In the meantime, *always* log using Binary (*.blg) because it is able to track all new counter instances and track all new processes as they start.

Also, all of my testing with PAL is using *.blg files.