PLT: Missing Counters in German translation

May 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Hi,

first of all I'd like to thank the developers for two very, very useful and indispensible tools! I'm a fan of PLT and PAL since I was confronted with performance issues for the first time.

Now, here is my problem and I hope for some help:

Our server systems are installed in German language, so I have to use PLT to translate the perfmon logs to English. In principle, this works very well, but for some counters PLT can't find the translations. They are summarized in the accordant MissingCounters logfile. But: Some of these counters exist in the de-DE_PFL.xml file! So the question is, why PLT doesn' find them. Some examples:

\\SRV\System\Bytes gelesen/s
\\SRV\System\Bytes geschrieben/s
\\SRV\System\Dateisteuerbytes/s
\\SRV\System\Systemaufrufe/s

These counters exist in the file.

Otherwise, nearly all ASP.NET counters don't exist in the file.

So, what can I do to solve this?

- Susanne

Developer
May 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Hallo Susanne,

looks like a typical cut and paste error. Sorry for that.

Line 258 of de-DE_PFL.xml causes an exception as it does not contain any information. Apparently PLT then skips all translations after line 258, not good.

To fix it, please open the file de-DE_PFL.xml in notepad and delete that line 258. It reads "<counter></counter>".

I will also fix that in the dowloadable package.

Cheers, Sven 

May 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Hi Sven,

thanks for your reply! I deleted the line and this fixed the problem. Now PLT translates all counters, which exist in the xml-file.

There's just one counter still missing, if I use the system overview profile: \System\Threads This one does not exist in the xml-file.

Thanks again,

Susanne

Developer
May 20, 2010 at 7:31 PM
Edited May 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Glad, that it worked out for you. :-)

You can safely ignore the one remaining warning. There is no translation for \System\Threads. It's the same in English and German OS.

And for the missing ASP.NET counters; please post which exactly are missing and I can work on finding the translations and updating the XML file.

Cheers, Sven