Adding bulk counters to threshold file

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Clint & Crew,

I know you can export from PAL to generate the Perfmon counters, but was wondering if I could do the opposite.   I have a bunch of data collected via perfmon,  and want to make sure all the data shows up in PAL.   

For example, using Wordpad to edit my threshold file, I tried to add a process counter for "Process Time" for a different process by copying an existing one, but all it did was create duplicates of the new process, and the old one doesn't show up anymore even though it's still in the xml.     Right now, I'm adding in all the available counters for several processes, so I would like to be able to add them in "bulk".   If I use the PAL editor, it wouldn't let me add them.   I also have another problem in that the processes I'm trying to monitor only show up while the agent is active, but disappear once complete.

I'm trying to get a real XML editor installed, since Word doesn't seem intuitive either.

For Permon, I have a counter file with everything I need, and can use it to create a log with 175-200 counters, so if I could do that with PAL, it would be beautiful.

Thanks,

Coordinator
May 7, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Hi NetWrench,

PAL v2.0 Alpha 5 (not the default release) has the AllCounterStats feature which tells PAL to generate charts and stats for *all* of the counters found in the perfmon log. This feature is not enabled by default because it is much more resource intensive. It's a quick fix for you.

In PAL v2.0, if you copy and paste an ANALYSIS node in the XML, then it will fail to show up unless you make the ID GUID unique. The ID attribute is used in the inheritance model to allow an ANALYSIS from the existing threshold file to overried inherited ones.

May 13, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Clint,

Thanks, that's perfect.   I'm going to be running Alpha 5 in the next week, will report back as I get time.     I think as I refine my counter list, I'll just relog if I have too many, so it will cut down on processing time, so I wouldn't mind *all* being the default.    Being able to select based on log contents or counter files might not be a bad idea, but this will be great.

NW

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Just as an FYI, I did install, but couldn't get Alpha 5 working, ran out of time.  Trying Beta 1.   As I'm able, I'll provide feedback on the all counters option.