Ever have a performance problem, but don't know what performance counters to collect or how to analyze them? The PAL (Performance Analysis of Logs) tool is a powerful tool that reads in a performance monitor counter log and analyzes it using known thresholds.
- Thresholds files for most of the major Microsoft products such as IIS, MOSS, SQL Server, BizTalk, Exchange, and Active Directory.
- An easy to use GUI interface which makes creating batch files for the PAL.ps1 script.
- A GUI editor for creating or editing your own threshold files.
- Creates an HTML based report for ease of copy/pasting into other applications.
- Analyzes performance counter logs for thresholds using thresholds that change their criteria based on the computer's role or hardware specs.
To use PAL
The PAL tool is primarily a PowerShell script that requires arguments/parameters passed to it in order to properly analyze performance monitor logs.
The tool is tested only tested on Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit. If you encounter problems with the tool on other operating systems, then consider reusing the tool on Windows 7 64-bit.Required Products (free and public):
- PowerShell v2.0 or greater.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5Known Issues
PAL must be ran under an English-US locale until globalization can be added. We are looking for assistance from users like you to help contribute to this cause.Download locations:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Partial package - internet access required)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (full package - no internet access required)http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe
Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=130f7986-bf49-4fe5-9ca8-910ae6ea442c&DisplayLang=en
PowerShell v2.0 (Windows Management Framework (Windows PowerShell 2.0, WinRM 2.0, and BITS 4.0))http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929Training
Download it (20071005Intro
wmv.zip) from:https://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=PAL&ReleaseId=6759Related Blogs and Reviews
Clint Huffman's Windows Performance Analysis Bloghttp://blogs.technet.com/clinth
Mike Lagase's Exchange Performance Analysis Bloghttp://blogs.technet.com/mikelag/archive/2008/08/20/performance-troubleshooting-using-the-pal-tool.aspx
Get a Handle on Windows Performance Analysis (Windows IT Pro Magazine)http://windowsitpro.com/Windows/Articles/ArticleID/101162/pg/2/2.html
Two Exchange Server Tools You Should Know Abouthttp://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/100132/two-exchange-server-tools-you-should-know-about.htmlSupport and social media:
Please post to the Discussions section of the web site, use the Twitter hashtag #paltool, or email the developer at firstname.lastname@example.org